Eighteen people were injured this Friday after a Failed experiment in the inner courtyard of the House of Culture of Science in Girona. In the place, a scientific outreach event organized by the University was being carried out, which mixed magic and science, and had the objective of bringing children closer to this area. This day, baptized as the European Research Nighttook place that same day in all the Catalan capitals.
The professor was in charge of the event. Deni Jaminezwho is also known for his appearances on children’s television shows.
The explosion of the nitrogen drum occurred at 7:45 p.m. during one of the experiments and caused injuries to ten minors -a girl is in serious condition; two, less serious; and seven, mild- and eight adults -one of them in less serious condition and seven, mild-.
In the yard there was two large metal barrels; one of them contained liquid nitrogen and the other, Hot water. Prior to the failure, an unknown substance had been poured into a container and then one container was placed on top of the other.
While the driver began a countdown, his assistant manipulated the drum that was at the bottom; It was then that the strong explosion took place, throwing fragments of the metal containers into the air.
According to the Department of the Interior of the Catalan regional government, at the event there were between 200 and 300 peoplewith a large presence of children given the nature of the sample.
The emergency systems did not take long to act and, within a few minutes, eight fire crews and numerous crews from the Mossos d’Esquadra and the Municipal Police arrived at the scene, as well as several ambulances from the Medical Emergency System.
The victims were referred to the Josep Trueta Hospital in Girona, the Güell Primary Care Emergency Center (CUAP) and the Santa Caterina Hospital in Salt, according to sources from the Generalitat Health Department. Also, those responsible for the demonstration were taken to the offices of the Mossos d’Esquadra to be questioned about it, along with the investigation that the local police have already begun.
As a result of what happened, the University of Gironaresponsible for the Night, released a statement in which it indicated that the explosion that occurred was due to a “excessive volume of water vapor”. They also added that it is an experiment that is carried out “on a regular basis” in scientific outreach meetings and that, in general, causes a cloud of water vapor.
Lastly, they expressed their regret over the accident, wishing the injured a “favorable recovery as soon as possible” and putting themselves “at the service of all those who may have been affected” by the event.
(With information from EFE)
How vaccines developed in the pandemic could become the answer to cancer
Headaches: why specialists say they are much more than a headache and should be treated
Australian scientists check how COVID-19 damages the heart