The North Korean dictator, Kim Jong-unhe asked his military high command use maximum force against South Korea and USA if they start a military confrontation, This was reported this Monday by the regime’s propaganda media.
In a meeting with military leaders in Pyongyang On New Year’s Eve, Kim said his military must “annihilate“to the enemy if provoked, the official news agency reported KCNA.
“If the enemy chooses military confrontation against the DPRK (North Korea), our army must strike a death Punch to completely annihilate them by mobilizing the strongest means without hesitation,” Kim said.
Seoul and Washington have intensified defense cooperation in the face of the wave of weapons tests carried out by the North last year.
Kim’s statement echoes threats he made at his party’s year-end meetings over a nuclear attack against Seoul and the orders to shore up the war arsenal in preparation for a war, which in his opinion could “break out at any moment.”
During the meetings of the Korean Workers’ PartyKim accused the United States of being a “military threat” and called on the military to “suppress the entire South Korean territory by mobilizing all physical means… including nuclear forces” in the event of an armed confrontation.
He announced that he will not seek reconciliation and reunification with Seoul due to the “uncontrollable crisis” that, according to him, South Korea and the United States have caused.
According to the North Korean regime, thinking about reconciliation or unification is a “mistake” and advocated “stop trying to reconcile with people who call you their worst enemy.”
Shortly before, Kim noted that North Korea’s political goal for 2024 is to strengthen nuclear capacity of the country to “respond quickly to a possible nuclear crisis and mobilize all possible means, including nuclear force.”
The South Korean president, Yoon Suk Yeolpromised to keep the North’s military provocations at bay, with a expanded deterrence system with Washington that will come into force at the beginning of 2024.
In his New Year’s message, Yoon said such a system “will fundamentally deter any North Korean nuclear and missile threat.”
“By the first half of this year, we will complete the strengthened extended deterrence framework of the Republic of Korea (official name of South Korea) and the United States to fundamentally deter any nuclear and missile threats from North Korea,” said the president in his speech.
Yoon stressed that the current situation on the peninsula, with Pyongyang turning its back on dialogue and investing increasingly in the modernization of its arsenals and armed forces, it demands a show of force that guarantees “genuine and lasting peace.”
The so-called extended deterrence is the mechanism by which Washington undertakes to protect Seoul from an attack by Pyongyang and, as of this year, it also includes the nuclear option.
At the beginning of December both countries held the second meeting of the Nuclear Consultation Group (NCG) and agreed to establish a joint strategy by the middle of this year in order to reinforce the deterrent framework in the face of North Korea’s weapons advances.
(With information from EFE and AFP)