Israel and the Palestinian Authority have toagreed this Sunday a plan to study the reactivation of their previous cooperation agreements while refrain from adopting, during the next three to six months, unilateral measures that could aggravate the tension in the region.
This rapprochement has been the main result of the security summit held this Sunday in the Jordanian city of Aqabain which they have participated intelligence officials from Israel, the Palestinian Authority, the United States, Egypt and Jordan, topped off by the presence of the monarch of the Hashemite kingdom and host, Abdullah II.
“After comprehensive talks, the participants have announced that the Israeli and Palestinian parties have confirmed their commitment to all previous agreements between them and to work for a just and lasting peace,” according to the final statement of the meeting, collected by the agency. Jordanian news officer, Petra.
In exchange for security guarantees for the Israeli population, the Palestinian Authority has obtained a promise from Israel that it will not discuss the establishment of new settlement units for a period of four months, and will suspend the construction of new houses for the next six.
Right now the Israeli settlement planning committee is under a three-month deliberation period in relation to future decisions on settlements in occupied territory and a final decision in this regard would be at the expense of the evolution of these talks, as explained last week. past Israeli diplomatic sources regarding these talks.
Otherwise, the parties have agreed to a subsequent meeting in the spa town of Sharm el Sheikh, in Egypt, in less than a monthto assess the progress made before the start of Ramadan, according to the statement.
The meeting was attended by senior Jordanian, Egyptian, Israeli, Palestinian and American officials, the eight-point statement said.
Among them were the head of the Palestinian intelligence services, Majed Faraj, the head of the Israeli internal intelligence service (Shin Beth), Ronen Bar and the coordinator of the US National Security Council for the Middle East, Brett McGurk.
The meeting, which lasted all day, sought to restore calm in the Palestinian territories after several days of deadly violence, Jordanian state television reported.
It is the first such meeting in years, added the same source.
While the meeting was taking place, two Israelis were killed in a Palestinian attack in the northern West Bank.according to a statement from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
The shooting occurred on a road in a town in the area of the Palestinian city of Nablus, in the northern West Bank, when a terrorist came to an intersection and “opened fire on an Israeli vehicle at that point,” the Israeli Army specified in a statement. release.
The victims, two men in their twenties, were seriously injured and declared dead shortly after, when they were taken to the hospital, a spokesman for the Magen David Adom (MDA) emergency medical service told EFE.
Israeli forces are searching for the attacker, who managed to flee. The area of the incident, close to Nablus – one of the main centers of Palestinian armed resistance – is an area where Palestinians – both individually and local militias – have carried out attacks in recent months against settlers and Israeli forces.
Two Israelis were killed in another Palestinian terror attack in the northern West Bank