The Israeli army told the agency on Thursday AFP that a plane attacked a “Hezbollah commander” in southern Lebanon, alleging that the terrorist was involved in cross-border rocket attacks.
The crossfire between the parties intensified again after four months of clashes, engaged since last October 8 in the worst outbreak of border violence since the war waged by both in the summer of 2006.
The confirmation came after a Lebanese security source said that A military officer from the Iran-backed terrorist group was “seriously injured” in an Israeli airstrike against a car in the city of Nabatiyeh.
Israel claimed that the target was “involved in several launches towards Kiryat Shmona and Metula” in northern Israel.
Hezbollah said in a statement that its fighters “They attacked the Meron air control base with a Falaq missile” in response to Israeli attacks “against towns and civilians.”
These types of bombings directed at vehicles are usually targeted attacks against members of Hezbollah, but the group has not announced any new casualties in its ranks so far.
Shortly after, a thirty rockets were fired towards northern Israel from Lebanon overnight, between Thursday and Friday, shortly after an Israeli attack against the “commander” of Hezbollah, the Hebrew State Army reported.
“We can confirm that there were around 30 shots fired from Lebanon towards the sectors of Ein Zeitim and Dalton in the north of Israel,” he told AFP an army spokesperson when asked about the rockets fired from the neighboring country during the night.
According to the first information, these shots left “no one injured,” added the military spokesman.
According to the official Lebanese news agency Annie“an Israeli drone launched a missile around 4:15 p.m. (2:15 p.m. GMT) at the eastern entrance of Nabatieh against an off-road car that caught fire.”
Hezbollah claimed to have “attacked the Meron air control base with Falaq missiles,” in retaliation for “the attack on the city of Nabatieh.”
After having recently reduced its number of daily attacks, Hezbollah today claimed responsibility for eight different actions against Israeli military targets, including at least three missile launches and two ‘Falaq’ type rocket launches.
Until now, the Meron base had only been attacked on two other occasions since the start of the crossfire four months ago, one of them at the beginning of last January in response to the assassination of the number two of the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas, Saleh al Arouri, on the outskirts of Beirut.
Hezbollah then assured that this center is the only one intended for the “administration, surveillance and air control” in northern Israel, and stated that the Jewish State only has other facilities of this type in the south of the country.
According to their information, “all” air operations that Israel launches against Lebanon and Syria are coordinated from the base, in addition to any potential operations of this type in Turkey, Cyprus or other Mediterranean countries.
The war between Israel and Hamas, which broke out due to the bloody attack by the Palestinian movement on Israeli territory on October 7, aggravated tensions in other areas of the Middle East.
Since then, Hezbollah bombs Israeli army positions on the border in support of Hamas, and Israel responds by bombing targets in southern Lebanon.
In four months, 227 people, Mostly Hezbollah fighters but also 27 civilians, including three journalists, have been killed in southern Lebanon, according to a count by the AFP.
On the Israeli side they have died 15 people, according to the army.
Tens of thousands of residents on both sides of the border have had to flee their homes since the violence began.
(With information from AFP and EFE)