In a new provocative maneuver towards the West, the dictator of North Korea, Kim Jong-un inspected the military reconnaissance satellite on Tuesday which the regime announced it would launch this year and which, according to state media, “is ready to be equipped” on a space rocket.
Kim paid a visit to the committee set up in Pyongyang for the launch of the device in the company of his daughter, photos released by the agency show today. KCNA.
“After getting acquainted in detail with the work of the committee, he inspected the No. 1 military reconnaissance satellite which is ready to be equipped after undergoing final general assembly verification and environmental testing,” reports the article in KCNA.
The posted pictures show the satellite, which has been deliberately blurredplaced on a platform and connected to a cable while Kim and her daughter, dressed in white gowns and hats and shoe covers to prevent dirt from entering the room, receive explanations from committee members.
Kim “gave the go-ahead to the future action plan of the preparatory committee”said that “successfully launching the military reconnaissance satellite is an urgent requirement given the current security environment in the country” and added that it will also mean “a clear step forward” in the “field of space research” for Korea. North.
The leader also stated that “as long as the US imperialists and South Korean puppet bandits intensify their conflictive campaign with the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (the official name of North Korea) more desperately, the latter will exercise its sovereignty and its right to freedom more dignified and offensive.” legitimate defense to curb it emphatically and defend the State”.
Late last year the regime launched, aboard an unknown projectile, a test device that allegedly took photos of the South Korean capital, Seoul.and the nearby port city of Incheon and said their goal was to have the satellite ready by April.
Activity in the area of North Korea’s Sohae Satellite Launch Station has resumed after a nearly half-year hiatus, 38 North, a US-based monitoring project, reported this week, citing recent satellite imagery.
However, 38 North added that there is still a lot of work to do before a satellite launch can take place.
Some, in fact, do not rule out the possibility that the regime may choose to launch this reconnaissance satellite from a mobile platform.
KCNA did not provide further details on when the launch is scheduled. Some analysts say it could take place in the coming weeks.
For the launch, long-range missile technology prohibited in previous United Nations Security Council resolutions will be used.although previous missile and rocket tests have demonstrated Pyongyang’s ability to carry a satellite into space.
The South Korean Foreign Ministry, for its part, said the North has not yet informed telecommunication and maritime authorities of the launch, adding that a North Korean satellite would violate several UN Security Council resolutions that ban any device that includes ballistic technologies and “threatens regional peace and stability”.
“The announcement of a satellite launch plan shows, once again, that the North Korean regime is concerned about continuing its illegal provocations while ignoring the plight of its population,” the ministerial statement said.
However, more questions remain about the satellite’s capacity. Some South Korean analysts affirm that the device shown in the photographs published by the North Korean state press it seems too small and crudely designed to support high-resolution images.
(With information from EFE, AP and Reuters)
The 5 Scariest Advances In Missile Technology From The North Korean Regime
The North Korean regime has criticized the military agreement between Seoul and Washington, warning that it will “expose the world to graver danger.”