Shocking protests against the Iranian regime: women took off their veils shouting slogans against the ayatollah after the death of the young Mahsa Amini

The protests in iran for the death of Mahsa Aminithe 22-year-old girl arrested by the “morality police” of the theocratic regime for not wearing the veil in an “appropriate” way, continued despite the prohibition of the authorities.

Footage released on social networks revealed shocking scenes of demonstrations in different parts of the country.

One of the videos shows the symbolic moment in which A group of women in Saghez, a city in the Kurdistan province of Iran, took off their veils in protest at the murder of Mahsa Amini at the hands of the police and chanting “death to the dictator!”. Iranian journalist Masih Alinejad shared those images on Twitter and commented: “Removing the hijab is a punishable offense in Iran. We call on women and men around the world to stand in solidarity.”

And another video reveals that in Sanandaj, the capital of Iran’s Kurdistan province, protesters joined forces to tear down a huge government banner bearing the image of Qassem Soleimanithe Islamic Revolutionary Guards commander who was killed in a bombing in January 2020.

As reported by the newspaper Guardian, hundreds of people gathered in the city of the young woman, Saghez, for the burial, shouting anti-government slogans such as “death to the dictator” and ripping up posters of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. And Kurdish civil society organizations launched a call for a general strike.

Mahsa Amini, 22, was visiting her family in the Iranian capital when she was detained on Tuesday by the police unit tasked with enforcing the strict dress code for women in Iran, which includes wearing the veil in public. She on Friday she was pronounced dead on state television after having passed three days in a coma.

His body was laid to rest in his hometown Saghez, 460 kilometers from Tehran, in the northwestern province of Kurdistan, on Saturday morning, according to the news agency Fars. “After the funeral ceremony, some people left the scene, while others they stood chanting slogans demanding detailed investigations into the dimensions of history”, the agency said.

“Protesters then gathered outside the governor’s office and chanted more slogans, but were dispersed when security forces fired tear gas”, he added.

File photo of Mahsa Amini, the 22-year-old arrested by Tehran police for not wearing the veil “properly” and who died three days later in hospital

State television broadcast on Friday images that allegedly showed the young woman falling to the ground inside a large room full of women while arguing with one of the instructors about her clothing.

In a statement on Friday, Tehran police insisted that “there was no physical encounter” between the officers and Amini.

According to the statement, Amini was part of a group of women who had been taken to a police station for “instructions” on the dress code on Tuesday.

“She suddenly fainted while she was with other visitors in the room”says the statement.

mahsa amini
Mahsa Amini’s death was declared on state television on Friday after spending three days in a coma.

Earlier, President Ebrahim Raisi ordered an investigation into Amini’s case, while the judiciary said it would form a special task force to investigate.

The head of Tehran’s medical examiner’s office told state television on Saturday that investigations into the cause of death would take up to three weeks to complete.

For its part, Amnesty International (AI) called for a criminal investigation into the young woman’s suspicious death in police custody.

In addition, the human rights group called laws making the veil mandatory “abusive, degrading and discriminatory.”

In the protests this Saturday, slogans were shouted against the Supreme Leader of Iran, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei (File photo/REUTERS)
In the protests this Saturday, slogans were shouted against the Supreme Leader of Iran, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei (File photo/REUTERS) (WANA NEWS AGENCY/)

Amini’s death comes amid growing controversy, both inside and outside Iran, over the conduct of the morality police.formally known as the Gasht-e Ershad (Guidance Patrol).

In July, a video of a woman standing in front of one of the body’s vans pleading for her daughter’s release went viral on social media.

The veiled woman clung to the van as it drove away, only letting go of it when it picked up speed.

Following the Islamic revolution in 1979, all women, regardless of their nationality or religious beliefs, are required by law to wear a hijab that covers the head and neck and hides the hair. However, many women in the last two decades have started letting the hijab slide back and reveal more hair, especially in Tehran and other big cities.

With information from AFP

Keep reading:

The Iranian regime repressed with tear gas protesters who demanded to investigate the death of the young woman detained by the Moral Police

The young Iranian woman who had been arrested by the moral police of the theocratic regime for not wearing a veil as required died

The White House described as “unforgivable” the death of the young Iranian who was detained by the morality police for not wearing a veil