An Iranian court sentenced prominent human rights activist Narges Mohamadi to eight years in prison and 70 lashes, her Paris-based husband denounced on Sunday.
“We have heard that in a five minute trialNarges Mohamadi has been sentenced to eight years in prison and 70 lashes,” Taghi Rahmani, the activist’s husband, said on Twitter.
Rahmani indicated that Since they cannot contact the activist, they have no further details of the trial and that the sentence includes a two-year ban on access to “telecommunications.”
“The new verdict is not clear to us,” he said. Iranian authorities have not reported the conviction in official channels.
Muhammad, who headed the Center for the Defense of Human Rights in Iran, was released from prison in 2020 after several years behind bars accused of acting against national security and propaganda against the system. During her long period behind bars, Mohamadi spent time in an isolation cell and went on a hunger strike, which worsened her health.
In November 2021, was re-arrested while participating in a memorial for an activist who died during the 2019 protests, which began with the increase in fuel prices and extended to demonstrations against the country’s political class. Amnesty International (AI) denounced that during these protests there were more than 300 deaths and thousands of detainees.
In the months prior to her arrest, the activist had been working with families of those killed during those protests in search of justice. Amnesty condemned Mohamadi’s arrest last year, calling the activist “a prisoner of conscience targeted for her peaceful human rights activities.”
British-Iranian goes on hunger strike
retired civil engineer Anooshe Ashoori He began a hunger strike this Sunday to protest his arrest and the inaction of the British Foreign Office to speed up his possible release. ashoori He has been imprisoned for more than four years accused of spying for Israel.
Ashoori’s daughter, Elika Ashoori, has explained that the strike is due to the “lack of progress” by the British Foreign Office and “in full solidarity” with other prisoners such as former US diplomat Barry Rosen and other dual nationals held in prison. They will go as “hostages”. Tehran does not recognize dual nationality for those born in Iran.
“My father, who has been a hostage in Iran for four and a half years, has decided to join his hunger strike from Evin prison,” Ashoori explained in a video posted on Twitter. “We are extremely concerned about his health as his 68th birthday approaches,” she added.
“Seeing no progress in the British Foreign Office’s efforts to secure their release and with no indication that the welfare of the hostages being held by Iran is a priority for the US, UK and European governments, let’s start this hunger strike in hopes of attracting world attention”, he argued at the launch of a network campaign with the hashtag #FreeTheHostages, “free the hostages”.
The British Foreign Office has stressed in response that Ashoori’s arrest is “totally unjustified”, reports the British public broadcaster BBC.
Rosen is one of 52 Americans who were held at the US Embassy in Tehran during the 1979 Islamic Revolution. He began his hunger strike in Vienna last Wednesday to demand that Iran release all foreign nationals before any signing is made. agreement to renew the nuclear deal between Iran and major world powers.
The husband of British Iranian Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe spent nearly three weeks on hunger strike in November outside the British Foreign Office in London.
Richard Ratcliffe denounces that his family is the victim “of a dispute between two States”, since Iran demands the return of 400 million pounds to the United Kingdom and the Iranian authorities have transferred to the family that they will release Zaghari-Ratcliffe if it is paid This quantity. However, London refuses to address this debt.
(With information from EFE and Europa Press)
The US Navy detained a ship carrying 40 tons of explosives precursor from Iran