Russian troops bombarded a residential area in the city of Bakhmut during the early hours of this Friday, leaving a balance of at least 5 civilians dead and some nine injured, according to information from the portal The Kyiv Independent.
Grad MLR missiles were used in the attack, which hit numerous residential buildings, the Attorney General’s Office said.
The Deputy Prime Minister of Ukraine, Irina Vereschukurged residents of bakhmut that leave the city because of the “heavy fighting that is taking place”as Russian troops are attacking residential areas.
“They must evacuate immediately, because when you stay, you put yourself and your loved ones at risk.especially the children who are forced to stay with you,” explained the Deputy Prime Minister.
He also warned that staying in the area “creates additional problems and risks” for emergency teams and rescue, as military or volunteers.
Russia’s strategy of attacking Bakhmut is aimed at delaying Ukraine’s counteroffensive, he said. Andriy Yusovspokesman for the Main Intelligence Directorate of the Ministry of Defence, according to statements collected by the aforementioned outlet.
This Thursday, Russia launched a massive missile attack across Ukraine, after the Western allies pledged to increase military aid to the Ukrainian armed forces to support a counteroffensive.
The Ukrainian authorities assured that the southern air defenses brake down eight Kalibr missiles shot from a ship in the Black Seabut others reached the north and west of Ukraine, as well as the central regions of Dnipropetrovsk and kirovograd.
One of the missiles hit a industrial estate of the western city of Lvivcausing a fire that was controlled shortly after.
Bolstered by tens of thousands of reservists drafted in December, Russia has intensified ground attacks in southern and eastern Ukraine in recent weeks, and a new major offensive is expected as the first anniversary of their invasion approaches of February 24.
“The enemy’s offensive continues in the east, with attacks 24 hours a day”, declared on Wednesday the Ukrainian deputy defense minister, Hanna Maliar.
“The situation is tense. But our fighters are not allowing the enemy to achieve their goals and are inflicting very heavy losses.”, Maliar wrote on Telegram.
The Russian Ministry of Defense indicated that Ukrainian forces had withdrawn in the face of Russian operations in the region of luhanskalthough he did not give details of what happened on the battlefield.
“During the offensive (…) Ukrainian troops randomly withdrew at a distance of up to 3 kilometers from the previously occupied lines,” the Russian ministry said.
However, he did not specify where in luhansk the offensive took place.
(With information from Europa Press and Reuters)
Ukraine ruled out any peace agreement with Russia that involves giving up part of its territory
Ukraine resists: a new Russian air barrage attacked the Black Sea Fleet and strategic aviation
Russia and Ukraine exchanged more than 100 prisoners of war
Alexander Lukashenko assured that he will join the war against Ukraine only if Belarus is attacked