Houthi rebels Yemen claimed responsibility on Tuesday for two attacks in the Red Sea against ships of USA and United Kingdomthe second of which was confirmed by a security firm.
The spokesman for this Iranian-backed group, Yahya Sareestated that “the first attack was directed against the American ship ‘Star Nasia’while another went to the British ship ‘Morning Tide’”.
The security firm Ambrey previously reported that a drone attack had caused “minor damage” on a British-owned ship off the coast of Yemen controlled by the Houthis.
The ship, flying the Barbados flag, “appears to have suffered minor damage to the port side,” indicated the British company Ambrey. According to their information, the attack did not cause any injuries.
The British Navy entity Commercial Maritime Operations (UKMTO) He said he had received information of an incident off Hodeida.
“The captain stated that a gunshot was fired. projectile against his ship on the port side “which passed over the deck, causing minor damage to the bridge windows,” said this agency, without identifying the ship or its flag.
“Boat and crew are safe.”he added.
The owner of the Morning Tide, the British company Furadino Shipping, told The Associated Press that No one had been injured in the attack and that the ship was still heading to Singapore.
Since mid-November, Houthi rebels have launched dozens of attacks on cargo ships in the Red Sea in “solidarity” with the Palestinians affected by the war between Israel and Hamas.
At first they claimed to only target ships linked to Israel, but They expanded the spectrum to ships from the United States and the United Kingdom endangering navigation in a key path for trade between Asia, the Middle East and Europe.
In the last weeks, The United States and the United Kingdom, backed by other allies, have launched airstrikes against the Houthis’ missile arsenals and launch points for their attacks.
Saturday, The United States and Britain attacked 36 Houthi targets in Yemen. An air assault on Friday in Iraq and Syria targeted other Iranian-backed militias and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard in retaliation for a drone strike that killed three US soldiers in Jordan.
The US military’s Central Command separately acknowledged an attack on Monday against the Houthis, in which they attacked what they described as two Houthi remote-controlled boats loaded with explosives.
U.S. forces “determined that they presented a imminent threat to US Navy ships and merchant vessels in the region“said the army. “These actions will protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure for U.S. Navy ships and merchant vessels.”
The escalation of tension in that sea route coincides with the presence in the region of the US Secretary of State, Anthony Blinkenwhich has begun its tour of the Middle East to secure a truce and the release of the hostages in the Gaza Strip, as well as to try to prevent the expansion of the conflict in the region.
(With information from AFP, AP and EFE)